Monday, January 6, 2014

Intro Post

We woke up to bitter temperatures this morning as promised! It is 30 degrees, but feels like 19 degrees, according to my Weather Channel app. After checking the weather back home and discovering it is -18 degrees there, this does seem a bit more doable. However, not everyone is prepared for below freezing weather here, so that's more challenging for those who aren't from the arctic regions of the north.

Happily, after a good night of rest, 5.15am was not as unbearably early as I remember from last year. After spending a long night at the Houston airport on Saturday and discovering that airport floors are quite uncomfortable and backpacks don't make the best pillows I was just incredibly grateful for a mattress and pillow last night.

Everyone stumbled, bleary-eyed and shivering, over to the church for devotions and prayer at 5.45am. This cold walk through the dark morning made me reflect on the focus of the Lakeshore Project. We are not here for ourselves. We are here to glorify God, and this takes priority over our own comforts. Before attending to our earthly tasks, we need to tend to our souls. It was convicting to me as I realized I don't always have this mindset in my life. 

For new readers since last year, I am Savannah Liston from Grace Reformed Baptist Church of Rockford, IL. I attended Lakeshore for the first time last year and worked on the blog then as well. I enjoy writing and using technology, so blogging seems to be the perfect job for me here. : ) Last year I flew down with three friends from my church but this year our plans were such that I ended up flying on my own, and then was delayed for nearly a day. I think the difficulty of getting here made it all the more wonderful once I finally made it! Last year everything was new to me, but coming back this year felt like coming back home. I am so very thankful to be here serving God alongside so many brothers and sisters in Christ. 

I'll be doing an official daily post for today with more details on the project and our goals for the week. 




No comments:

Post a Comment